News

Two Characters Return to Once Upon A Time! One is Surprising!

By  |

Mama Charming!

TV Line reported a few days ago that Gabrielle Rose who plays Ruth Nolan, David’s mother, will be reprising the role in episode seven flashback of this season:

As Josh Dallas told us at Comic-Con, with the introduction of the purely Evil Queen, who possesses all of Regina’s past memories, David will come to discover “some things that he thought were truths in his life … maybe weren’t so true.”

She was last seen back in the Frozen arc of season four.

I always love Ruth, but there’s someone else I would rather see. I think it’s time that David’s father came onto the scene. They missed a golden opportunity to have Daddy Charming in the Underworld. In the Frozen arc, David told Anna his father had guilt over giving his brother James away. Daddy Charming drank himself to death from it. If that’s not unfinished business in the Underworld, I don’t know what is.

Robin Hood May or May Not be Back?

EW dropped the exclusive story that Sean Maguire will somehow be returning as Robin Hood this season after the character’s tragic death. What we don’t know is how. It could be flashbacks or something entirely new. After the season six premier, Henry planted hope into Regina that Robin’s soul wasn’t entirely obliterated and that Hades, being a villain, lied about it.

“We’re thrilled to have Sean back for this story arc and are excited for the audience to see what we have planned, which in the wake of his character’s heartbreaking demise, is something we hope is unexpected and surprising,” executive producers Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis tell EW.

I’ve seen two reactions to this news from fans. Outlaw Queen fans are rejoicing, while others, like my lovely editors here at What the Fangirl, argue that the “dead is dead” argument is, in fact, dead. Over on their Once podcast twitter, they wrote:

what-the-fangirl-sean-return

With much respect to my editors, I both agree and disagree with them. I’ve always been a sucker for Robin Hood like characters (like my never ending love of the Avenger Hawkeye). I agree when Mr. Maguire told The Hollywood Reporter, “I felt like it was an abrupt end; I didn’t feel the character had any development this year and wasn’t really written for.” Robin’s writing was little to none in season five like they did to many series regulars before him (see Will Scarlet). I’m happy to have the possibility for something more with Mr. Maguire  and Robin.

At the same time, “dead is dead” means nothing anymore unless your name is Neal Cassidy. I’ve reached the point that Once Upon A Time has become my favorite soap opera complete with the tropes of weird pregnancies, evil twins, rape, and now people back from the dead like Hook. It’s always surprising to me that adult shows have so much difficulty following their own rules and canon. Other shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe are strict to build their characters in the world they have created. Alex Hirsch said on the Nerdist Writers Panel podcast that when you make rules, you have to follow them in your world. So when Mabel got a pig in Gravity Falls, that pig wasn’t going to suddenly vanish the next week. The pig was always going to be there in some way. Steven Universe brought back an episode one character almost a hundred episodes later and stayed in their canon. It’s so mind blowing to me why adults shows can’t grasp this. Maybe that’s why these “kids” shows have been Emmy nominated for their stories while Once has only been nominated for it’s costumes.

Either way, I’m excited to see what they do when Robin returns.

Soucres TV Line, The Hollywood Reporter, Nerdist Writers Panel, and EW.

Hope set out into the world to be a Pokemon Coordinator. When she realized that Pokemon were not real, she pursued her other passion: writing. Hope was raised in fandoms and saw how they can help save the world from her work with The Harry Potter Alliance. Now, she works to bring that love into writing one article at a time. She's also a diehard Atlanta Braves fan, so don't diss her team.

11 Comments

1. Alex Leal

September 28, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Love this post — would love to see Charming’s dad.

The potential stories involving a Robin who is alive are so much greater and that’s why this annoys. Seriously – first we need to know did Regina really kill Marian the first time? If so…why? Why didn’t Robin know? Why’d he blame himself for her death? Then…how can Robin fall for Regina? Which doesn’t mean he wouldn’t fall for Regina. On the contrary, that would be a better and deeper love story than the truncated one they told. That’s a complication, a challenge, worthy of an epic couple. That’s why I never understand the “challenges” of Hook-Emma. Like I said on podcast, Hook should dump her.

2. Bri Ahearn

September 28, 2016 at 7:27 pm

The secret is Charming’s dad isn’t dead! I bet you anything.

3. Aaron Henley

September 29, 2016 at 11:09 am

I’ve only seen seasons 1 – 4 but am catching up on season 5 through Netflix. Where was rape? I don’t remember anything like that. Charming’s evil step dad killing poor Gus-Gus and framing Red I remember but something like that? Was it an S5 thing? Also probably another reason why Once may have trouble come awards time – Lil’ BoPeep as a gangster. That happened. Why? Also yeah, unless you’re Neil, death means nothing. How many times have we seen Cora come back? Didn’t her story pretty much wrap up is S2? So please let Regina find happiness. She’s the only reason I still watch after Snow got nerfed from being a badass in season 1 to happy homemaker.

• maria

September 29, 2016 at 11:30 am

there was rape in s5. Zelena raped Robin and got pregnant. She does it by being disguised as Marian with him knowing nothing about it, therefore, rape by deception.

• Bri Ahearn

October 3, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Hi Maria! This is a fact we (Alex and me) haven’t let up about on our podcast, rest assured. He was thinking he was with Marian the whole time, absolutely. At least he got to have a line about it before he died, so there’s that.

• Hope M.

September 29, 2016 at 11:50 am

Well, you saw one case. Regina raped Graham all through the curse. But the other more recent case was in season five, which you haven’t gotten to yet, so I won’t spoil that for you.
      Actually I quite liked General Bo Peep. I thought that was a nice twist on her.
      If you miss old Snow, then you’ll like her in season five. But I want to say that homemakers are super important, brave, and courageous women (and men), and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• Aaron Henley

September 29, 2016 at 12:03 pm

You know I completely forgot about the Huntsman…yeah…that was rape. Wow Regina was even more evil than I remembered. Also, I apologize if the homemaker comment came off too strong. It wasn’t my intent. My mom was a brilliant homemaker and the person who most shaped who I am today. So if any took offense, I truly apologize.

• Jo

September 29, 2016 at 12:31 pm

I’d say they are referring to the Robin/zelena situation where Robin never gave consent to sleep with zelena as he believed it was Marian therefore sex without consent equals rape. Also Regina slept with Graham while in charge of his heart therefore he could not give his full consent either. It’s one of those blurred lines things but if you strip both instances down both are technically rape

4. Katy

October 2, 2016 at 1:42 pm

I really agree with OSOTM Podcast – love the show but it could be so much more. A lot of the planning is weak and characters miss out on so much development from either getting killed off or are alive but weakly attended to. Looking forward to Robin returning and hope that it helps, instead of hurts, Regina. :/

• Bri Ahearn

October 3, 2016 at 1:24 pm

It could! The planning IS weak, but maybe that was due to the winter breaks they were forced to take? I’m wondering if Robin coming back is because this is the last season.

Thanks for commenting!

5. Pingback: ABOUT LAST NIGHT: 3 Inconvenient Truths About Once Upon a Time – What the Fangirl