The Other Side of the Page: Books and Comics
Comic Review: The Legend of Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy
I know that I usually cover Marvel on here. Yes, I’m totally a Marvel lady, but two new number ones from DC Comics came out this week that I’m super excited about! This week, I’m covering The Legend of Wonder Woman and Poison Ivy: The Cycle of Life and Death.
The Legend of Wonder Woman #1
If you’re looking for Wonder Woman kicking the crap out of people, you might be a bit disappointed in this issue. This is all character-based development covering how Diana was born and her childhood years. While it might not have the most action, this is a fantastic beginning to her origin story. It’s incredibly welcoming to someone who has never read a Wonder Woman comic, but it has some new sides to Diana that old fans would appreciate.
We see even as a child she has an urge to fight for her people while everyone else pressures her to be a perfect Disney Princess. She doesn’t care about arts or headdresses. Diana wants to learn to kick ass and take names to ensue the peace. Already this is setting up to be a fantastic miniseries.
Renae De Liz and Ray Dillon flourish with the art, story, and coloring. They easily show Diana’s humanity while planting the seeds for her to grow into the hero we all know and love.
The only question I had was whether or not this miniseries will tie into the Wonder Woman in Batman vs. Superman. With the first real footage of her released featuring Diana throughout hundreds of human years, this comic could touch on many of those points as well.
Overall, I gave The Legend of Wonder Woman #1 a 8 out of 10 butt kicking goddesses.
Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death #1
I’ve never read much Poison Ivy outside of her in team ups or fighting Batman. So, I was itching to get my fingers on this. I loved about 90% of this first issue, and honestly, the other 10% is pure nitpicking.
Ivy starts over in a new life working in Gotham City’s botanical gardens. Wanting to escape her past and hide from humanity who doesn’t understand her, Pamela can only make it so far before her demons catch up with her.
I related a lot to Poison Ivy in this issue. While I might not be an eco-terrorist, I understand people having zero interest in my passions and the loneliness that accompanies it. You tell yourself you’re okay, and you don’t need other people in your life. It’s a huge hole in your being making you pull away more from the ones you love. I think a lot of people can relate to that sentiment making Poison Ivy more complex in a single issue than whole series trying and failing.
There’s several great cameos. Pamela’s girlfriend, Harley Quinn, shows up wondering where her boo has been. There’s a great scene of them kicking ass together. We also get to see the cast of Gotham Academy, one of my favorite DC Comics titles running right now. Though, Mags is drawn a bit too old and sexy for my taste. We all know what a lovable dork she is. It took me a moment to realize it was her. I’m nitpicking, but I really love Gotham Academy.
[su_pullquote]The only real problem I had with this issue was the cover. Poison Ivy is drawn sexily in a plant corset with her butt facing up. Her face has a come hither look to it. But when I read the issue, I never got any of that from the character. They focused on her mind during the story.[/su_pullquote]The only real problem I had with this issue was the cover. Poison Ivy is drawn sexily in a plant corset with her butt facing up. Her face has a come hither look to it. But when I read the issue, I never got any of that from the character. They focused on her mind during the story. There is one scene where she strips down, but I took it as getting comfortable at home where she can be like her plants. While she looks great in short shorts in the opening scene and a lab coat for much of it, that’s a different kind of beauty bringing out a different side of the character. I feel like the cover is a pull to get fanboys to read it, while it might push women away from the title. Already future covers are sporting a similar kind of catch. Can’t we have her looking smart and beautiful in a lab without a corset squeezing the life out of her boobs?
I gave Poison Ivy: The Cycle of Life and Death #1 7 out of 10 killer flowers.